I planned a potluck for today...sent a FB invite at the beginning of the month, got responses. No one showed. I made turkey, dressing, collard greens, baked macaroni & cheese, 2 sweet potato pies and a 7-up cake. All I asked is for the attendees to provide extra sides and liquor if the wanted to drink. It's funny how you can invite some and say you are providing everything and they all show up, but as soon as you say you have to contribute to the cause, you can't find them. I could have made a "regular" Sunday dinner and saved $200. I bought more stuff to cook, but my mom kept me from cooking it, I'm glad she did. I guess when times get hard, I know I'll have food. My daughter's great grandmother made my favorite Puerto Rican rice, other than that, nothing else. I was so mad, I was gonna throw the food away. BBJ-my mom-stopped me. 2 cousins came to eat, but they are teens so they don't count. One friend, who has been on hard times, told me she wasn't coming yesterday. I forgive you.
I guess I'm more so hurt by the fact that no one had the decency to say they couldn't make it. My sister didn't even show. I talked to her yesterday and she said she would be here when it started at 4, I sent her a text at 5:30 telling her the food was ready, she responded at 6:45 saying she just got out of church. I suppose I can't be too mad at her because she was celebrating her church's 100 year anniversary, but you know damn well anniversary celebrations last YEARS. I told her not to come since no one showed up...an hour later she responds " I still want some food" REALLY??? Ummmmm no, it's already late (8:30-ish), its gonna take you 2 hours to get here because you ain't gonna leave when you say you are gonna leave, and I'm shitty because no one showed up. Save your gas, I'll see you Thursday.
I'm already some-timey around this time of the year. Today just threw a monkey wrench in my 2010 holidays. I hope this funk will pass, because it is Gio's first Christmas and I want to make it special for my little guy (even though he won't remember it).
I was reminded by a FB friend that I cooked for the people that matter-my mom and my kids-she is right. As I stewed over that, my mom turned to AFV and we started a laugh-fest, then in the middle of that, Gio stood up, in the middle of the floor without support for about 15-20 seconds....that changed my mood totally-and he did it a couple more times, but not as long.
So I guess in the end, it might not have been all for nothing, but earlier, it really did feel like it
Sigh. Black folks. That really cooks my grits AND sticks them to the pot.
ReplyDeleteLast year, I had a "Soul Purpose" party. It was a get together and the Soul purpose rep was going to come present her products. I made it clear that I didn't expect them to buy anything. I also made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that I was providing food and drink, so it was imperative that folks RSVP correctly, so that I didn't overcook.
What happens? The very person who wanted me to have the dang party (she wanted to get into selling the stuff) didn't show up. Another girl, was totally forgiven 'cause her dad passed the day before. But the others? I was like, I'll never invite them again or have anohter thing. Ridiculous! I had all this dang food leftover and it's just me. Talk about heated!
All that to say, I understand. But I'm glad you ended the evening on a high note, with Gio's victory over gravity! :)
Gio always saves the day!
ReplyDeleteThat just burns be up to think of the money, time and effort we put into it.
*steam whistles out ears*